Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2018

We're off!!

In South Australia we are really lucky to have the beautiful Flinders Ranges to ride through.  I've been every year for the last 4 years with friends/foreign visitors.  We have a ride around and then I usually go home.  But this time..  I get to keep going.  I am always thinking I wish I could keep going, and finally I can!

Today's forecast is 90% rain and 50 km/hr winds.  The colors are always so beautiful on a sunny day, but today they are dark and dreary.  So I made an executive call to just ride the favorite road, Brachina Gorge, and keep moving North rather than meandering around like normal. There are heaps of fun roads here.. but since I've been on them several times and we have loads to see around the country, we'll do the quick Flinders trip this time.
 

Might be dark and dreay, but still pretty.  PLUS!  we are well protected from the strong winds in here.



Suzanne on Brachina Gorge





Searching for Rock Wallabies.. but I think she found two super cool Tigers instead to photograph..



Still pretty in it's own way.  Mostly easy riding and gives Suzanne a chance to get used to this unfamiliar bike in gravel before we start riding the more challenging stuff.


Keeping an eye out for that little light behind me.  I'm almost always the one following so it's a new job for me to be the leader and guide on this trip!



Didn't pass up the chance to eat lunch at Parachilna.  Most visitors like to stop here.  Good food, choices of Camel, Emu or Kangaroo on the menu.



She chose.....drumroll.......................................Camel! 

Continuing North, the wind is so strong and we no longer have the protection of the gorge.  The air is filled with a combination of dust storms ad drops of water, which are sticking to the helmet visors.  But!  I have a goal and we're heading to Marree for the night.  My favorite pub to stop for many years.  


Quick little detour to show Suzanne our little ghost town of ruins called Farina.  I wanted to see if the Bakery was open.



It's not open!  The local historical or friends of Farina open this underground bakery a few months of the year.  A real treat to step back in time and buy some bread.


Along the road today, we have dodged countless kangaroos, emus, sheep and eventually a big horse!  I was staring at the large brown being which appeared to be walking toward me on the road and I thought it was a man in a "Driazabone"  (sp?) Raincoat.  But when I got closer, I worked out it was a horse!  Really couldn't see through the visor at that point, obviously!

So it was a welcome site to get in to Marree just before sundown.  It would have been that much worse to add darkness to the visibility issues.



What a great night in the pub.  Good meal, beer and lots of locals heading to the Birdsville Races.

The rain pounded all night.  It was interesting to me because it doesn't rain much around here at ALL  But that wind hasn't died down at all.  Next challenge is managing the greasy muddy road in high wind.  Not looking forward to that!

While fueling up in Marree, the local police pulled in to fill as well.  While there she wanted to give us some motorcycle safety cards, showing some sorry bloke who had a serious crash on his motorcycle on the gravel roads and the bike was in pieces all over the road.  I don't want that dag gone image in my head!!!!  I refused the card, but I listened to her warnings which was fine.  She HIGHLY recommended we stay off the greasy mud, especially due to the wind.  The wind will at least dry the road out a bit.  We waited til midday and it was still a greasy mess with other travelers in 4WD's telling us how they struggled coming in and wouldn't like to be picking us out of the mud if we go.  So!  We decided to stay one more night.  Marree was having a big 'do' at the roadhouse tonight, so we stayed and enjoyed the people and town.  Not a bad thing, as I've never hung around this place before. A unique experience!




We checked out the little museum..wondered what it was like to be on that Ghost Train to Nowhere..  Isn't there a song about that?


These drunk guys on their way to the Birdsville Races are another good reason to stay off the road today!


Was a fun night meeting locals and travelers.

Next morning.. sun up and I'm ready to go!  If the road is still muddy, so be it.  The wind is done and as much as I love Marree, one day is enough!



 Breakfast on the pub balcony

Breakfast of champions.. Oats, baked beans.. and tea.


Pack and run.. see you!




 Road is still a bit sloshy, but we're ready...

Wasn't a drama at all, mostly dry and the really good bit, is that there was no dust.  Usually its a big ball of dust for the rider behind but I can see Suzanne just fine.

 Local "Art"  ;-)
 
The corrugations and gravel quickly took their toll on Suzannes' Tiger.  I have broken 2 noses off my Tiger, so it's not a surprise.  Well done, Suzanne!


We pulled up to get fuel at William Creek and we had to wait while 2 other female travelers finished their fuel.  We often see female riders, but it's most unusual to have a group of 2 sets of 2 girls.  Until the next set of riders pulled up which was a male/female couple.. That poor guy was very much outnumbered with 5 female riders!  Great stop, good fun and good advice for the road ahead.


Jessica and Holly on their lunch/fuel break traveling South on Royal Enfiields.  It was really nice to meet them!


It's a long haul and we're on the road again..  Some people find it boring, I can't help but to love it.
 



This is William Lake.. a nice stop for our own lunch.  Reminded me a lot of the area called Mani when Suzanne and I were riding in Iceland.  Irrelevant to this post, I know! 

Evidence of days gone by.  Imagine making your life out here in the harsh environment!


We finally came to the end of that 400km run and found a bush camp for the night outside Oodnadatta.  
 



Lovely sunset, good meal and looking forward to watching the stars and listening to the dingo's howl  Good night!


Oh what a beautiful MORNING...!!  I hear the alarm song from Suzannes tent.  But I would have been singing that song in my head anyway, as I love it out here.


A couple of photos while waiting for Suzanne to pack her bike and get out of the bush and back on to the road.  Love the colors!  Going to be a great day for sure.




 I was loving these clouds!


And in to the Oodnadatta fuel stop.. And a nice big bacon and egg breakfast.  I found it ironic that but Roadhouse 'houses' a pink Volvo.  A Swedish car and a Swedish rider..  Oodnadatta attracts everything Swedish!





No comments:

Post a Comment